Friday, September 17, 2010

The Right Tool For the Job or How This Old Dog Learned a New Trick.....

I have said it many times and I drill it into students - having the right tools makes all the difference in your end result. Your product or knowledge base can be poor, good or fantastic depending on what tools you use to get the job completed. Now, I tend to abide by this rule (thus why when I tell DH that Dooney and Bourke handbags will last forever, he knows I'm right as I've had mine for 30 years and it's still doing its job,) but yesterday I learned that low and behold a very simple little tool had been overlooked in my knitting kit. The humble darning needle/weavers needle, whatever you call it. I have been using plastic needles for years - I always tended to stray away from metal as I thought they wouldn't work as well. Plastic is flexible and usually has a bigger eye for ease of threading - what could be better.

Enter - Simply Knitting - Issue #71 and the freebie that was in the package. A little egg with 3 metal darning needles. Big eyes, smooth and sleek and heaven to use. As I was weaving in the ends on a project last night, they were just sitting there and as I was entirely too lazy to go to the studio and get the needle I normally use, I tried the new ones. OK - to say that these needles are good is to miss the chance to say. "The heavens opened and angles sang." These little goodies are slick as you please. They wove through the yarn as if by their own power. The working up part of this project was complete in half the time it would have taken with my plastic needle. Now, I have to wonder if this has been a conspiracy from my fellow knitters to keep these from me or if this something you just learn through trial and error. I choose to believe the trial and error idea as we all know that knitters are good, honest and helpful as they can be to their fellow cohorts.

So, give a listen - go invest in Issue #71 of Simply Knitting and get your own set of these little jewels. I may have to get a second copy in order to have two sets of these darlings. I'll just donate the second magazine to YMCA or the library. And if you knew all of this already - you may now stop laughing at my ignorance (I hear it causes wrinkles.) ;>)

Peace and joy to you all......
The Green Girl

No comments: