Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Changing Season.....

The sunlight has changed. It's rays are softer, it's intensity more filtered. How does it know that Labor Day has gone and it is time for it to change. This shift in the sun's presence always marks the beginning of Autumn for me regardless of the date on the calender. I love these days of soft light and cool breezes. The harvest has already begun as well. Fields are being taken in like the sheets that we dry out on the clothes line. Windows are opening and air conditioners are being turned off at night - it seems that the world is preparing for bed like children putting on their pj's and brushing their teeth. I love this changing of the season.....

This change also means that the holidays are ever closer and it's time to think seriously about the holiday knitting. I guess I should have said, do the holiday knitting (I can sit and think about it all day, doesn't get the job done.) I have had a list of projects for about two months, I also have the yarn for most of the projects - life just seems to get in the way of the doing. You know things like, getting a new patterns collection published, doing the laundry, working the day job, working on my group squares, knitting the chemo caps, doing the laundry, cleaning the house, doing the laundry, cooking and freezing easy week night meals, doing the laundry (yep - there's a pattern there - you're not imagining things.) So, now I have a challenge - get the knitting broken down into units, mark the calender and knit until my fingers bleed. Given the list I have given myself this year, I should be done right about Christmas Eve. It doesn't help that nine family members had to go and be born during the holiday knitting rush, but they're here now (some for many years), what ya gonna do? I've learned that knitting at a birthday party is acceptable as long as you give your wishes to the birthday recipient, say a quick hello to the party goers and then sneak off to a quite corner and knit away. This works really well if the party is for a child as all they really are interested in is cake and presents. I'm cool with that! It's a little trickier with adults as they like to talk to you as you are their cohort. I'm cool with that as well, as long as they are cool with letting me knit while we chat. They have to understand, I'm not a speed knitter and these two hands can only work so fast and each hour spent at the task makes for much better odds of my having a sunny disposition on Christmas morning.

So, for all of you that have been "thinking" about the holiday knitting. Start your engines, tune-up your needles (or hooks if you crochet,) get your yarn ready and go..................................

Peace and joy to you all......... even during the holiday rush!
The Green Girl

No comments: