Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Following the Yellow Brick Road.....


There is something that I love so much that is scares me to write about it, to let others know how important this thing is to me, but this blog is my safe place to let the world know the Green Girl so I shall share with you all, the one thing I enjoy even more than knitting. I have been participating in local/regional theater for the past 30 years. I've acted, directed, made costumes, organized props, worked the lights, you name it and I've been involved (and I've never had any intention of doing it professionally.) I love the theater -it feeds another part of my creative side, it makes me feel whole. Perhaps I have been acting since I was old enough to walk, playing "Pretend" (as the Aunts called it) when I was little, was my favorite activity. I was a doctor, teacher, princess, explorer, you name it. I can feel the excitement filling me up even as I write this blog. What a high - no drugs required!

This past year, my DH and I moved from Seattle back to the Chicago area and I have become involved in the local theater group. I have to say that this group is the most amazing group of individual's that I've ever worked with and that is due to one particular director. Paula never treats us like a groups of amateurs (which of course we all are.) She says, "This is the production that we are doing and this is how we are going to do it." Meaning that we aren't going to cut corners because we aren't a professional group. And goodness knows, it works every time. The audience gets an experience that makes them feel as if they spent a night at any professional theater. Paula is truly the backbone to the success of this group (at least that is how I see it.)

This Sunday, is the audition of my lifetime. The Green Girl is going to audition for the part of "The Wicked Witch of the West" in the Wizard of Oz. Now, at one point in the distant past I was cast in this role, but due to my parents objections at the time, I was not able to accept the part. So, this audition has a little extra meaning for me.
And if I am not cast, yes I'll be sad, but I will be there to cheer the rest on to what will be a fantastic performance! Hopefully I'll break a leg and when I wish upon a star, I'll wake up where the clouds are far behind me (to quote the song.)

Now, I have recently joined a knit a square a month group on Ravelry and although I have not been added to a group yet as they have to have 13 people, I am designing a Green Girl square that I will knit for each person in the group (pictures to come). If I am cast in this very special role, I will of course be knitting these squares in the wings during rehearsals (when not chasing after Dorothy and her little dog of course) and I'll send a picture along with each one so that the recipient will feel the special vibe that the theater can give to an item knit when surrounded by the muse and all her sisters, brothers, and munchkins.

So, off I go to follow the yellow brick road......
Peace and joy to you all.....
The Green Girl.

No comments: