Friday, August 13, 2010

The 13th of....... "Let's Celebrate This!!!!"



The 13th of..... The month never matters really ,but when we know that the 13th is on a Friday lots of folks get a little freaked out. I on the other hand have always loved odd numbers, so I've always seen the 13th as a good day. Friday the 12th - bad, bad day - actually most Friday's are good, good days (it is the last work day of the week after all.)

I did a little checking on the history of this poor defamed day and found that if a month starts on a Sunday, there will be a 13th on a Friday. We have at least 1, but no more than 3 such days in the year. According to Wikipedia (and we know it is the true source of all correct information) this date was not considered unlucky until the 19th century and didn't appear in writing until 1953. So, this day has been around only a little longer than I have. How can that be bad?
In honor of this day, I started a new scarf design (actually last night). I won't post pictures until I talk to the Zen Master of Knitting (The Yarn Harlot) as I am incorporating part of her "One Row Scarf" pattern into the design. I want her permission to publish this as a free pattern if possible because a couple of folks have asked for the pattern. Coming from academia, I am very conscious of plagiarism so I need to discuss this with Stephanie first (you all wouldn't want to see me knitting in jail now would you.) If she gives the go ahead I'll publish pictures, if not I'll change that part and then publish. Just getting all my knits and purls in a row first!

Now, proclamation for the day - Go forth - knit, purl, have a glass of wine, relax by a pool, or whatever makes you happy. Let's celebrate this (day)!!!!!

Peace and joy to you all.....
The Green Girl

P.S.Permission granted - pattern Published as free on Ravelry - The Green Girl Friendship Scarf. Enjoy!!!

No comments: