Sunday, August 8, 2010

Audition Anxiety and Socks

Today is the day - the day DH and I both audition for parts in "The Wizard of Oz." As you will have read from an earlier posting, I have wanted to be re-cast as the "Wicked Witch of the West" for the past 30 years. I have never asked to be cast for just one part, not ever, I love the theater and I'll do anything, usually! This part is different and I don't know if I can be a part of the ensemble and watch someone else with the part of my lifetime. So, this is an all or nothing type of thing this time around. I'll live with the final decision.

DH is auditioning for one of several parts. Dave has a lovely voice, always has, but yesterday was the first time he's ever danced in his life. We didn't even dance at our wedding. However, the opportunity to be the Tin Man or Wizard was too much for him and he's been practicing the audition dance non-stop since the class yesterday. I must say he has become 100% better with the practice. For his sake I hope he gets a part. This will be his second performance if he does and I think he's having fun.

Anyway, I'm more nervous than a cat in house full of rocking chairs. I've practiced my song, learned several of the character's speeches, so I'm ready. I'm up against some stiff competitors though and they've been in this group a lot longer than I.

So, in order to keep myself under control I've been knitting socks and a scarf. I switch off every now and again to keep myself sharp and relaxed (Ha as if I could be relaxed - who am I kidding.) Good luck to all my fellow Wicked Witch wannabes.

I'm off to see the Wizard......

The Green Girl

1 comment:

Elizabeth Green Musselman said...

What great parts to play! Break a leg...