Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hip to be Square......




Quick update on the Wizard of Oz - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead - my lifelong dream of playing the Wicked Witch has been dashed. It was not meant to be. I'm heartbroken for many reasons, but as a good friend said, I now have more time to create and knit. I know many people that have dubbed me the Wicked Witch in private (students) were looking forward to openly calling me the Witch. Sorry to spoil your dreams, folks! (Ha ha ha ha ha - insert a little cackle.)

Anyway, about a week or so ago I joined the Bakers Dozen group on Ravelry. Each sub-group has 13 members and each month you knit a 12x12 square (your choice of design - MOM's choice of color, fiber, weight). Each member ends up with 12 squares to make into a throw or whatever creative object they wish. The MOM (member of the month) requests a color, fiber and weight option. It's a great group of people. Your group can consist of people around the world or just within your own country. I was placed in the US/Canada 3 group as they had lost a member. My month will be February 2011 (guess what my color choice will be?).

So, since I have had some free-time (no rehearsals for the Witch) I got to designing and knitting the squares for the August and September MOM's. It was a lot of fun and a bit of a change from all the socks, scarves, ponchos, mittens and hats that I'm knitting for the holidays. If you are a Ravelry member you can see the particulars for the squares on my Ravelry project page.

Now, instead of being the Witch, I have decided to become an Angel. Big change I know! Anyway, an angel is someone that steps in and knits a square for a group if they have a member that is "dealing with life" and can't get a square done for a particular month. I doubt I'll be up for any halos (the witch lives deep inside me), but I'm glad to help where I can.

So, Ding Dong the Angel lives (that doesn't sound right, but you get the idea.)

Peace and joy to you all......
The Green Girl

No comments: