Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Joy of Sox.....

When we were last together I mentioned that you might not want to wager the farm on my ability to have enough self- control to keep myself from starting a new pair of socks before I finished the holiday knitting. Hopefully you followed that sage advice, because my self-control is definitely on vacation.










Socks are just such  joy a to create. They are relatively easy, but also offer a good challenge. Knit a little ribbed cuff and a bit of a leg, very relaxing. Turn that heel in one go with no frogging and you feel like a genius. It's all very gratifying and makes you feel one with the knitting universe. And after the Doby sock, that's exactly what I did, I cast-on and went to town. Literally! DH and I had an errand to run and I took the sock with us. It even went to Chick-fil-A and had lunch with us.
Now I'm not sure, but for some reason  my back went out while we were in the Costco - spasms moving from left side (old injured area ) to right side (to much compensating) and as the pain swept over me all I could think of was getting home, taking a muscle relaxer and laying on the heating pad. Two hours later I was still in pain, but able to knit. Back to the socks. It takes more than back pain to keep a knitter down.

I got through the heel flap and was ready for bed. This morning has brought a renewed desire to knit socks and less back pain. Once my neck let out with a pop that could be heard around the world, I felt much better. I have now completed that ever mysterious and sometimes daunting act of turning the heel. And it's so pretty, too.... It's odd, I understand the math of turning the heel, but it is still a viola' moment (this always reminds me of the Egyptian ritual of Opening the Mouth - don't ask why, just know that for me it's on the same par.) They are both some form of magic, luckily I get to enjoy my feat of magic without being dead. Big plus, that!
Now I'm off to pick-up, decrease, blah, blah, blah. Let's just say my hands will be having a little party.

Party on!!!!

Peace and joy to you all....
The Green Girl.

No comments: