Thursday, December 16, 2010

Blah, Blah, Knitting Needles, Blah.....

I think I have mentioned before that I love to read as much as I love to knit. Trying to do both at the same time is still a skill that I have yet to master in a safe and sane way. One day. So, given my love of these two activities, it should only follow that I love to read knitting books, knitting mags, knitting articles, knitting blogs, and the beat goes on... Da da da da de...... So, today while I am knitting these sweet little Christmas ornaments for my nieces and nephews as holiday gift toppers (I like to give them an ornament all their own) I decided to do a little reading of a new knitting book that I received. Lovely book, can't wait to make some of the projects, but that's not the point here - the point is that the author discusses that she never uses straight needles only circulars or dpns. I'm cool with that, but it hits me as I'm reading that many authors seem to make a point these days of choosing sides in the needle chaos and making sure that everyone knows their choice and why you should join that camp as well.

Honestly, as we all should know there is no knitting police or knitting needle police. I have no problem with each person choosing their needle of choice, but I do seem to have a mental block when it comes to why they insist on setting the record straight or circular for that matter in regard to their needle choice. I'm beginning to think that I'm missing something and perhaps my knitting guild card may be taken away from me if I don't emphatically state my preference for all the world to hear. If I had to make a forever choice, I think I'd be in trouble. I love all my needles and for different reasons. Short, long, straight, circular, dpn, plastic, wood, metal, da da da da de........

Okay - here comes the confession portion of the program. At one time, about 15-20 years ago, I was convinced that I was a circular only kinda knitter. I put the straights and dpns away - never to be used again, only to be brought out to be shown as historical artifacts to classes of new knitters. Then one day, as I was working up a demo scarf for one of my designs the light bulb went on - why in the world are you messing around with circulars and their cables that always want to curl back on themselves when a nice straight needle of about 10 inches is all you need to knit back and forth. I sat, I pondered, I scratched my head, I didn't have an answer. I went and dug out the old straights and slipped all the stitches onto two lovely little bamboo needles. Viola' - no messing with a cable that I didn't need for that project - my stress level went down - my hands relaxed. Epiphany - I realized that I could use any needles I wanted and I could choose what worked best for each project. Hallelujah a breakthrough. And that's what I've done from that point on - I choose for the project and I'm a happy knitter. Each pair of needles have made a happy little gift or a pair of socks, etc.... and it makes me happy to see all my little darlings dwelling peacefully in their nest. da da da da de..... da da da da di.......

Knit with your needle of choice, choose a side, don't choose a side, just knit and have fun. However, if you ever here tale about why people are so emphatic about going to one type of needle or another drop me a line and let me know. I think this is another sociology thesis waiting to be written and I'm sure I could get some students together to work up a case study.

Peace and joy to you all....
The Green Girl

P.S. Pictures only represent a select portion of my needle collection. Please don't judge, we all have our secrets.

No comments: