Monday, October 18, 2010

Creatvity In Motion...

Well, the sun has left and clouds have arrived, along with a light rain - it must be Monday. The weekend really was so beautiful. As I needed a little trip away from home yesterday - I got to drive through the lovely back roads and see Autumn in all her glory - v. nice way to spend a bit of time. And it seems that while I was away, the muse decided to play....

Note to self: Never leave the house without having a plan for the muse or you'll be sorry.....

Not that the muse was technically bad, but boy did she work her magic when I walked through the door. She decided that I should change my entire game plan for my October Baker's Dozen square and had ripped out all the work I'd already done. Right down to the last stitch! She thought it would a good idea to try my hand at an old skill (Tunisian Crochet - crochet that looks more like knitting) in order to get myself all prepped for the November knit/crochet challenge.  I lost three hours before I realized that the stripes were not going to come out in the right repeated order. Then, Muse whispers those words that most knitters dread, "Take the scissors to the bottom four rows and get rid of them and then recast that part in another color." Scissors, really? Really??? This is like watching your sweet child take the scissors to her long lovely hair and end up looking like Sid Vicious. It's just not a pretty sight and can fill your belly with terror in about 2 seconds flat. Oh I know there are steekers out there, but honestly they must be on meds in order to practice this habit of knitty desecration. The muse just would not let this go, "If you don't do it, you'll have to rip out the whole square again and you won't like it..." Just taunting me to no end. So like any good manipulator she finally got me to pick up the scissors and cut away a base chain that would only take off the bottom section. And I'll be hog tied - it worked and left a smooth set of stitches easily available for re-working. Of course, Muse was dancing around the house singing "Nanny nanny boo boo - I told you..." Honestly! DH walked in, looked at the scene and said, "Creativity in motion?" and then he walked away. He just knows when not to go there. If my Baker's Dozen group only knew the crazy stuff I do get their squares just right - they'd realize what a nut I am, but they are all so worth the crazy!!!

Then the muse says she wants to show me that she can be "green" too and proceeds to show me her newest little recycling effort. We have a lot of old home movies that we have been transferring and editing to dvd, so we have lots of those dvd holders that come with 100 blank dvds on them. We've just been piling them up in the corner figuring we'd recycle the plastic. However, the muse had this idea - Use the spindle as a yarn holder. The yarn comes off evenly and without rolling around on the floor like a crazy exotic, wildly colored tribble from Star Trek. The lid can be used to hold the extra skein and do-dads for the project. Pretty good, Muse, pretty good. We shall give it a whorl, now go away and let me deal with the havoc you've played on my square. Scissors, well I never.. well I guess I have now actually. It wasn't the end of the world, but I still think much wine should be consumed before trying this. If disaster strikes you need to be a bit mellow.

Peace and joy to you all...
The Green Girl.

No comments: