Monday, February 21, 2011

The Hands of Time.....

Do you ever wonder about your ancestors?? It has been a passion of mine since I was a child to know them - know as much about them as I can - to try and understand their thinking and their choices - to try and know what came together to bring my collection of genes into this world. Perhaps it is one reason why I hold degrees in biology and ancient history and language. I just cannot get enough. I started tracing my heritage about 30-35 years ago, but never found all that much. Then came Ancestry.com!!! The mecca for us family history nuts. And oh what a flood gate it opened up for me. I won't bore you with all the things I've found as in many ways I'm just a normal American girl, but there is a mystery that has been solved that is directly attached to moi' and I think you'll like the story.....

I am left-handed. I understand fully that I was given a right hand so that I would look like all the other babies laying in the hospital bassinets, but the right hand I was given was for the most part non-functional.Oh it looks nice with a bracelet and ring or a watch, but put a pen in it and it acts like a launching pad. Nothing works very well when in my right hand. That's okay though, we have learned to get along and have had a pretty easy relationship for the past 48 years. I get zero sympathy from family, as there is no one - not a soul on either side of my family that is left-handed. Just me and me alone for at least 4-5 generations. That makes you a real oddball at all the family functions -"Put her on the end so she won't hit the person next to her with her elbow while we eat." "Don't let her cut that - she can't use the right handed scissors (actually I could, I never got that- they worked fine in my left hand.) And the list goes on and on that I could not be taught this or that because I was lefty. Then once I had a teacher tell me that being a lefty made me smarter and more artistic. Well, the jury may still be out on both counts, but that comment gave me confidence.

Then about two nights ago while weaving my way through the past, I found a census from the 1700's and on that census was one of the greatest surprises of my life. It stated - Katherine Mullins - born: Ireland - arrived: six months ago - head of house (widow) - occupation: LEFT-HANDED KNITTER!!!!! And the angels sang!!!!!! I have a many times great-grandmother that was not only a lefty, but a knitter as well. Someone else like me - I can only conclude that she was  strong woman to have come from Ireland alone with her children to start a life here. She holds her needles like me, her left hand ached after long hours of knitting like mine do. I am not a complete oddball - I am part of her - her abilities skipped many generations and landed in me. I'm as happy about this as I can be - silly maybe, but for me and me alone a little inspirational. Now I have a little niece, Kate (Katherine) and I am waiting to see if she is a lefty as well. I think granny would be happy to know us both - I have loved meeting her over all these intervening years.

Who are you like???

Peace and joy to you all....
The Green Girl

No comments: