Tuesday, March 8, 2011

We are Women -

Hear us roar - In numbers too bug to ignore......

Happy International Womens Day!!!! Today we celebrate that fact that we are strong, beautiful, intelligent, capable, etc.... This is something that should be celebrated daily in the lives of all women.

Point of Interest regarding the Green Girl - I am a feminist!!! The definition of this word is as follows:
"The doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men." Let us note that this does not say we are better, stronger, the same as, or superior to men, but equal in standing in the social, political and human rights arenas. Feminism has gotten a bad name because a lot of people think that the word means something other than the definition listed. 
 
I have been a feminist since 1972. I organized my school's first and perhaps only bra burning in junior high school. They were training bras for the most part, but we were women in training at the time. I still carry the flag of equality throughout my life. I love being a woman, I love knowing that my husband is strong in ways that I am not, but we are equal in voice. He is better than I at his career, I am better than him at my career and we celebrate that fact. 

However this is a blog about knitting and I want to celebrate that idea. There are numerous female role models in the knitting world, wonderful women that share their art with everyone. Where would my knitting be without Edna Geraldine Russell Mullins or Mary Lucille Tinsley Street (my grans). Then there are the knitting worlds more famous icons - Elizabeth Zimmerman, Nicki Epstein, Debbie Bliss just to name a few. And there are all the independent knit designers that can be found on Ravelry, Etsy, etc... I am proud to be among such an illustrious group - each and every one of us unique and talented in our own ways, giving and noteworthy in the journey of life. We are strong... we are invincible.....WE ARE WOMEN!!!
 
Finally, let me say as a feminist and a knitter, I am thrilled to have the menfolk joining our art form in greater numbers. Designers like Alan Dart - Kaffe Fassett and many famous male sports icons are well known, but it is the man on the street that seems to be jumping into the stash with more and more abandon. I recently read an article about men taking up knitting as a way to save their health. I'm glad to see that men are finally learning what we women have known for decades, knitting is a stress reliever (ok sometimes it's a stress inducer, but you get the picture.) 

So, celebrate being a girl - keep bringing your talent to the masses, and most of all - find your own peace and joy and spread it around....

Peace and joy to you all....
The Green Girl.

No comments: